- MAJOR USES
- CHARACTERISTICS AND PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
- SURFACE PREPARATION
- MIXING AND APPLICATION
- PROTECTIVE COAT, PRECAUTIONS, COVERAGE & TINTING
- Natural mineral material.
- Contains low VOC.
- Wide range of finishes and colours available.
- Good Workability.
- Good water vapour permeability.
- Hard wearing.
- Resistant to abrasion.
Colour – See product catalogues
Appearance – Paste
Fire Rating – 0 (non-flammable/non-combustible)
Specific Gravity – 1.70 kg/L
Solid Content – 70 ± 0.5%
VOC – 5 g/L
Coverage Rate – 1.5–2.5/m2 (2 coats)
Drying Time – 24 hours
Overcoat – 12 hours
Dilution – Water (if required)
- New concrete should be cured for at least 28 days. All surfaces must be free from oils, grease, dirt and other foreign matters that will prevent the material from adhering to the surface.
- Old concrete floors should be mechanically clean and if contaminated, a degreaser is recommended.
- All laitance and lose materials must be removed from the concrete surface. Apply 1 coat of multi – etch solution followed by thorough washing with water and let it dry.
- Treat the surface with appropriate products in the presence of mould. Remove any salt bloom and any flaking old paint by brushing or washing. Application of MAS Masonry AR Primer is a must to avoid any efflorescence. Application of MAS Masonry Primer for interior or Acrylic Primer White for exterior application.
- Never attempt to apply ICHNOS over wallpaper or lining paper and great care should be taken on surfaces that are already decorated. It can be applied on painted surfaces provided the paint is well bonded to the wall.
- A flat or true substrate is vital to achieving good quality results as any bumps or imperfections may show up in the finished product.
- All cracks must be filled with appropriate putty filler prior to commencing on top coating.
Using a stainless-steel spatula, apply a smooth layer of ICHNOS onto a completely dry surface and before the latter dries totally, finish the surface using a damp sponge trowel. Eliminate any imperfections or accumulations of material. When the first layer had dried completely, use the stainless-steel spatula to apply a second layer and before this dry totally, finish the surface using a damp sponge trowel to obtain a sealed but rustic surface. In order to obtain a polished effect, pass over the surface with a stainless steel gloss spatula for plasters before it dries completely. To obtain a compact effect, before the surface dries completely necessary to pass over the surface with a stainless steel spatula, making sure to handle only small portions of the material. Drying time: approx. 24 hours depending on the type of substrate, its absorption and the environmental conditions.
ICHNOS in itself has smooth, hardwearing and resistant to abrasion but with the addition of a protective coat, additional advantage like resistance to scratch to foot traffic on the floor. Ensure that the surface to be coated is free from dust after sanding with 600 grit sandpaper. One to two coats of MAS Protect WB with 50% dilution with water is required. It can be applied by brush, roller or conventional spray. The applications of the finishing proposed will alter the aspect of the surface. Before proceeding, it is recommended to perform a preliminary test.
The material must be protected from freezing and thermal shocks throughout the entire application process. Do not apply when air, substrate and product temperatures are below +50C or above +350C, or in direct sunlight, or on hot surfaces (even if already in the shade). Environment humidity must be <75%; the humidity of the substrate must be <10%.
ICHNOS: 1.5 – 2.5 kg/m2 in the two layers, according to the finish of the substrate and its absorption. It is good practice to check the effective coverage via a preliminary test on the specific substrate.
Standard colours as per catalogues are readily available and various colours can be obtained with our Tinto machine or can be tinted manually with our range of Unicolor Paste. Limited colours are available for exterior application.